Thursday 26 January 2012

What Makes the Southern Lakes Paradise!

Part of what makes the Southern Lakes area paradise on Earth is that it has so much to offer, all year round. While infamous for our snow and epic ski season, the Christmas/New Year break is still one of our busiest times of year and it’s easy to see why. Our sunny weather and crispy cool lakes create the ultimate in idyllic scenery.

As much as I love my job, one of the downsides of choosing a career in hospitality is that it's an industry that never sleeps! It’s crucial that hotels stay open during the holiday periods- holiday makers need a place to stay! But it also means that this Christmas/New Year break was the first one I have had away from work since I was about 18!!!

Christmas Day was spent back home in Invercargill. We made the most of the weather by taking the boat and knee boards out for a spin, followed by a BBQ. By Boxing Day it was back to my second home, Queenstown. Locals and regular visitors will know how Queenstown transforms over the break. The streets are crammed with cars and the supermarket is utter chaos, but mostly it is just great to have such a fun and vibrant atmosphere with everyone enjoying the sun!

On the 31st of December a group of us headed out to the events centre in Frankton for the Twenty/20 cricket match. I had never really been a big fan of the cricket and didn’t know much about it, so I interested to see how it would go. Well, after three hours of cricket, on a toasty 28 degree day accompanied by delicious wine & cheese, great friends and plenty of entertainment I can highly recommend the cricket as a fun day out. Just don’t forget your sunblock and to stay hydrated with plenty of water (not just wine!).

Queenstown is famous for its spectacular New Year’s Eve fireworks display. It’s a crime to miss it and one of the best places to view the extravaganza is from Ben Lomond Restaurant or up Queenstown hill. I opted for the latter, the perfect way to finish a great evening spent with friends. I must be getting older, as we decided not to check out the nightlife this year, but I can vouch from past experience that the Queenstown nightclubs are fantastic over New Years with a fun crowd and cheerful atmosphere.

Central Otago and Queenstown will always be a very sought after destination for summer and it’s great to see the sunny side if you normally only venture out in winter for the ski season. Overall, it was a FANTASTIC Christmas break and I was reminded exactly why I love Queenstown so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment